Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Speak Up for a Clean Mumbai!

My friends say that I am a very calm and patient person and I agree with them! But whenever I see someone littering the roads by spitting or throwing empty bottles, wrappers etc, I feel outraged. .In spite of a strong desire to do something about this, nine out of ten times I let it go without a reaction because we have been brought up to believe that in Mumbai people are supposed to mind their own business.

I was traveling in an auto rickshaw from Bandra Hill Road to Bandra Station. Although it is a short stretch , it is generally jam packed and the vehicles move at a slow speed waiting for the signal to turn green. While I was also waiting thus, I noticed a car just in front of me (I don’t remember the make but it was a big car) full of a bunch of young college boys talking in loud voices and generally having fun, Suddenly one of them lowered the glass of the window and threw three empty Pepsi bottles and wrappers of lays, biscuits etc out of the window. The meek or the complacent part of me asked me to ignore what I had seen but the other side of me coaxed me to act…..and act I did before the signal could turn green.
I asked the auto rickshaw driver to go ahead so that we were besides the car. The poor fellow managed to skillfully dodge through the vehicles. I knocked at the window of the car. The boy who had thrown the stuff ignored me. I don’t know if I am right but I thought that he looked guilty and probably did not like the expression on my face and guessed the reason for my knocking the window. However, his friends coaxed him to open the window after I tapped the second time. I tried to remain as calm as I could and simply asked ‘Is this the place to throw this garbage?’ The boy hurriedly apologized and pulled up his window after which I noticed that there was pin drop silence in the car. The boys who were enjoying themselves just a few moments ago were absolutely quiet. Just then the signal turned green and we were off on our respective routes.
That was all that I could do. But when I sit back to think of the repercussions that this incident would have had, I can say that all boys in the car will definitely think twice before littering in a public place the next time . Then the people who witnessed the incident (especially the auto rickshaw driver, the driver of the car, few people walking on the road etc) also learnt a lesson incidentally.
I appeal to all those who read my blog “Please speak up!!!Let’s have a clean Mumbai”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why only a cleaner mumbai, we like a cleaner India..
U were lucky that the boys even apologized, there are people who don't even care.. I have come across a few children who laugh it out..

its something that has to come with free will, a will to keep the place clean.. I'm doing my bit, I'm sure u r doing ur bit too.. Lets keep doing things we can and lets hope people realize the importance of it..

Kunal

Kunal said...

Talking about cleanliness, I hope u have clean 'ears' than shilpa's :)

Kunal

Joy deep Majumder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
'S' said...

@blue Blue Kite..

I hope you "Practice what you Preach"...
In India I am sure you would get multiple chances to practice...

If and when you do so remeber to write a blog post on it and send me the link so we can appluad you for your good work...

Joy deep Majumder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rahul Rai said...

We offer you complete financial solutions. This includes Business Finance, Business Advisory Services, Private Equity Participation, Restructuring of Loans, Internal Audit, Tax Advisory Services. We have offices in Delhi, Gurgaon, NCR and Mumbai.